2018: Quite A Year
It was a great 2018 at Raymond Hearn Golf Course Designs with multiple remodeling/restoration and renovation projects throughout the USA and a few exciting international projects, too.
Restoration, remodeling and renovation projects at private clubs, resorts, municipal and public courses have become our passion and our specialty. Clubs across the country and around the world are seeking out our remodel master planning expertise.
We were especially thrilled to receive our fourth Design Excellence Award from the American Society of Golf Course Architects in the last six years: 2013 Island Hills Golf Club (Michigan); 2014 Mistwood Golf Club (Illinois); 2017 Club de Golf de Panama (Central America) Web.com Tour stop; 2018 Waters Edge Golf Club (Michigan).
There were many other highlights from the year. Among them:
* Developed an incredible 18-hole Remodeling Master Plan for the George Young Golf Course in Iron River, Mich., near the Michigan/Wisconsin Border. The terrain, lake and the views are all spectacular. The golf course exhibits epic views of Chicaugon Lake, over 100 feet of elevation change and off-course views that extend for miles. We believe these improvements will help attract destination play from Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Canada.
* Developing a Remodeling/Restoration Plan for bunker, fairway and tee improvements at the acclaimed Metedeconk National Golf Club in Jackson, N.J. The club is a true gem in the Pinelands not far from the Jersey Shore. We hope to break ground on phase 1 in the near future. It’s an incredible club with an incredible course all set on spectacular terrain.
* Developed a dynamic Bunker Remodeling Master Plan for the Wyndgate Country Club in Rochester, Mich., a highly respected private club in Southeast Michigan/metro Detroit.
* Played in the McWethy Cup at the Mistwood GC in Romeoville, Ill. It is one of my favorite events of the year with one of my favorite clients and good friend. See their incredible flyover video https://mistwoodgc.com/golf/course-tour. I was the original designer and also completed the award-winning renovation in 2014 (Best Renovation 2014 Golf Magazine) on one of the best courses in Illinois.
* Engaged in remodeling design and construction at Waters Edge Golf Club in Fremont, Mich. I created two beautiful new holes (holes 5 and 6) will open in the spring. The new practice area and the remodeling of other key holes are also coming along nicely. The redesign at Waters Edge earned one of the ASGCA’s prestigious Design Excellence Awards in 2018. When the remodeling is completed, we are confident this course will join ranks with West Michigan’s Premiere golf clubs.
* Our remodeling Improvements from 2017 have been extremely well received at the Schenectady Municipal Golf Club in Schenectady, N.Y., and we look forward to our phase 2 work.
* Continued design consulting at the Rivers Edge Golf Resort in Brownsville, Tex. This massive resort is graced by natural Texas beauty with more holes on the Rio Grande River than any other club in Texas.
* Still engaged with our Master Planning at the La Rivera Resort in the Dominican Republic working closely with Mr. Juan Heras.
* Our bunker remodeling Master Plan for the Great Oaks Country Club in Rochester, Mich., has started, and we look forward to seeing all of our improvements completed in 2019. Great Oaks CC is one of the premiere family oriented private clubs in southeast Michigan.
* Master planning at the Tuscania Resort in El Salvador with legendary land planning expert and Oxford University graduate Mr. Juan Heras continues with a projected construction start date of 2020.
* Completed Master Plans and grading plans at the iconic Maple Lane Golf Club (1925) in Sterling Heights, Mich. In 2019 we will continue more design work in advance of a projected 2020 construction start date.